Lest We Forget –
Rightwing Extremism: Current Economic and Political Climate Fueling Resurgence in Radicalization and Recruitment.
The “report” (PDF file here) was one of the most embarrassingly shoddy pieces of propaganda I’d ever read out of DHS. I couldn’t believe it was real.
I spent the day chasing down DHS spokespeople, who have been tied up preparing for a very important homeland security event later today: The First Lady is coming to visit their Washington office. Priorities, you know.
Well, the press office got back to me and verified that the document is indeed for real.
They were very defensive — preemptively so — in asserting that it was not a politicized document and that DHS had done reports on “leftwing extremism” in the past. I have covered DHS for many years and am quite familiar with past assessments they and the FBI have done on animal rights terrorists and environmental terrorists. But those past reports have always been very specific in identifying the exact groups, causes, and targets of domestic terrorism, i.e., the ALF, ELF, and Stop Huntingdon wackos who have engaged in physical harassment, arson, vandalism, and worse against pharmaceutical companies, farms, labs, and university researchers.
By contrast, the piece of crap report issued on April 7 is a sweeping indictment of conservatives. And the intent is clear. As the two spokespeople I talked with on the phone today made clear: They both pinpointed the recent “economic downturn” and the “general state of the economy” for stoking “rightwing extremism.” One of the spokespeople said he was told that the report has been in the works for a year. My b.s. detector went off the chart, and yours will, too, if you read through the entire report — which asserts with no evidence that an unquantified “resurgence in rightwing extremist recruitment and radicalizations activity” is due to home foreclosures, job losses, and…the historical presidential election.
In Obama land, there are no coincidences. It is no coincidence that this report echoes Tea Party-bashing left-wing blogs (check this one outcomparing the Tea Party movement to the Weather Underground!) and demonizes the very Americans who will be protesting in the thousands on Wednesday for the nationwide Tax Day Tea Party….” Click Here To Read More
Update: John Hinderaker weighs in the report.
Also good reading in Jonah Goldberg’s thread here.
- 2009 DHS Report and Today’s Veteran Dilemmas (kerry-patton.com)
- Why Were DHS Agents Seemingly Monitoring Multiple Tea Party IRS Protests Across the Country on Tuesday? (theblaze.com)
- DHS adviser: Tea party has ‘Christianist xenophobia’ (deadcitizensrightssociety.wordpress.com)
- HELLO: Meet the 72 Types Of Americans That Are Considered “Potential Terrorists” by the Obama Administration (directorblue.blogspot.com)
- Crazy Progressive Politics — Dhs: More Afraid of Right-wing “Extremists” Who Vote Than Muslim Terrorists Who Kill? (onecitizenspeaking.com)
- Tea Party “Uprising” Spurs Gov Concerns For Radicalization (occupycorporatism.com)
- Muslim DHS Advisor Is Clear And Present Danger To America (godfatherpolitics.com)